What is a Facebook Pixel?
A Facebook Pixel at its core is simply a line of code that is pasted into specific pages of your website, but don’t be afraid of that, it’s a simple copy and paste job, no coding needed. This is a tool that is used in marketing for retargeting. What is retargeting? I’m glad you asked friend. I’m sure at some point you have been shopping around online and noticed that an item you were looking at popped up in your social media feed. If you have seen this before, you have been retargeted.
How do Facebook Pixel work?
The way the tool works is by monitoring the visitors to your website and keeping a log of the IP addresses that have accessed a specific page or completed a specific action on your website. A Facebook ad can be made that will only be seen by those people that have triggered the Facebook pixel from your website.
That means that you can make a specific advertising campaign that will only be seen by people that have already been to a related page on your website. Therefore, this is a very specific retargeting campaign.
What is the application of a Facebook Pixel?
Retargeting – make sure that your ads make it to the right place don’t blindly throw money into the advertising campaigns. Anytime you spend money on advertising this should be a well thought out process.
Retargeting is proven to be more effective as you are advertising to warm leads as opposed to just a specific demographic or geographical area.
Facebook Pixel provides an added metric that will give you a log of every time a pixel fires. Meaning that you can receive updates each time a specific action is completed by a user on your website. For example, visit to a specific page, clicking on a specific button, viewing an item or service.
How do I install a Facebook Pixel to my website?
- To get yourself started there are a few things you will need. Additionally, it goes without saying you will also need access to the following.
- A Facebook Business page for your business.
- A business website.
- The ability to edit the code of your website (this will vary depending on how your site was built). Remember, where there is a will there is a way.
- Go to the events manager section of your business page. you should find this @business.facebook account.
- Find and select connect data sources and select web.
- Continue to Facebook pixel and hit connect.
- Name this something that is relevant for future reference.
- Punch in your URL and see what options are available.
How to add your new Facebook Pixel to your website
There are a few options
- Manually edit the code.
- Integrated partner program.
- Email instructions to developer.
Option 1. edit the code
- From events manager, select the pixel and “Continue to pixel set up”.
- Select install code manually and you will get your code.
- Copy and Paste the code into the header of your website, at the bottom of this section.
- Save and exit.
- Test out your shiny new Pixel.
- Add events in event setup tool in business.facebook
Option 2. Partner program
This option is by far the easiest aside from finding someone else to take care of this whole process for you. Since you’re still reading I’ll assume you want to learn how to do it yourself.
When filling out the setup form from “continue pixel setup” select use a partner and select your web platform or CMS from the list provided. Continue to follow the instructions specific to your platform and the software will take care of the rest.
Option 3 Email Instructions
This handy feature allows you to send the instruction of which pixel you would like installed to which website or webpage. These instructions are intended for your current web developer.
From the event manager, select your pixel you want to set up and select “continue to setup” from there, choose “email instructions”, address the email to your developer and hit send on the bottom of the page.
There you have it, simple steps to getting your very own Facebook pixel to your website for retargeting.